Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Humble Service

Good morning, this is the first post with the new computer, I look forward to many more. Today's, and yesterdays devotions both have came from a really old copy of the "Our Daily Bread" devotion book. I don't plan on borrowing devotions that often, but if God blesses my heart with something, I will share it with you.
Today's scripture reading comes from Lk 22:24-30, with vs 27 being the meat of the lesson "For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? Is not he that sitteth at meat? But I am among you as he that serveth".
I knew a young woman, that lived with her parents, her only income was a small government welfare check. She was always complaining about being bored, being broke, being depressed and just not liking her life. Since there was actually nothing wrong with her, I would tell her to go get a job, or do some volunteer work or something. That was not going to work, because she was too good to clean bathrooms, or flip burgers, or work with homeless people. However, Jesus did not think that He was too good to do those things.
Another example, during World War 1, a famous theologian, and counselor did some volunteer work at a hospital for injured soldiers. Even though the administrator knew who the man was, he was assigned the job of making hot chocolate in the mornings. Since the beverage's needed to be ready by 7am, he would get up before 5. He'd take chocolate bars, shave them into small pieces, then melt them, mixing them with condensed milk and water. Then from 7 until 9 he kept busy serving the soldiers, never getting his own breakfast until after 9. Now it seems that he would have been better utilized counseling the soldiers. Even so, he honored God by not only doing the menial job, but by doing it the best he could.
"And I thank Christ Jesus our LORD, who hath enabled me, for that He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry" 1 Tim. 1:12. Gal. 5:13 "but by love serve one another", Eph. 6:1-9, again tells us how we should serve one another in love, doing everything we do to the best of our abilities as if we were asked by God Himself to do it, and not as we are doing it for another man.
If you ever get discouraged with something you are doing because it seems beneath you, or because of some obstacle, or because you don't see any fruit from your service (ouch), look again. Remember today's text, just knowing that Christ counts you faithful makes any sacrifice for Him worthwhile.
I had no idea that I was going to step on my own toes, right there at the end. Not until I actually typed it, then it hit me. I can now see the fruit of my labor, even if I don't see any physical results, I see heavenly results. And that is all that matters in the long run, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment