Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Still Small Voice pt. 2

Good Tuesday morning to all of you. First thing we see in our passage this morning, in 1 Kg chapter 19, is that an angel ministered to Elijah and prepared him for the journey he was about to take. Then once Elijah arrived at Horeb, the mount of God, the word of the LORD came to him. In verse 11, we see where Elijah was told to "Go stand upon the mount before the LORD". Then the Bible says that the LORD himself passed by, and that a great and strong wind "rent" the mountain. I don't know about you, but if I was to experience a wind strong enough to tear rock, I would probably pass out from fear, either that or forget I was not in the bathroom. But the terror was not over yet, next there was an earthquake, then a fire, each time the Bible says that the LORD was not in the wind, or the earthquake, or the fire. Then there was a still small voice. And, God was in the voice, because it was the voice of God. The voice asked "What doest thou here Elijah?"
1.First I want to look at the first three things that happened, the strongest tornado in the history of the world, an earthquake, and a fire. All of these happened after Elijah was told to leave the safety of his cave and stand on the mount. God wanted him in the danger zone, God wanted him where things were happening, where the power of God was going to be made known. He also wants us to leave the safety of the cave and to get out where those things are going on.
2. No matter what happens God will keep us safe, as long as that is His plan. And as long as He still has something for you to do, His plan will be to keep you safe.
3. Despite everything that happened, despite all the danger around him, Elijah did not move. He could have ran for cover, but he stayed put. He stayed right where God wanted him to be.
4. Because Elijah did what he was told to do, because he was where he was supposed to be, he received a great blessing. If you have ever heard that still small voice, then you will understand what I mean about this being a blessing.
There have been several times in my life, I obeyed God and went where He wanted me, and then managed to stay there despite what happened while I was there, until He told me it was time to go somewhere else and I received a blessing because of it. Other times my obedience fell apart at some point along the line. At times, I never obeyed to start with, other times I was doing what I was supposed to be doing, but I got scared, or frustrated, or embarrassed, or whatever emotion, and I stopped obeying. Because of that I either missed out on a blessing, or I had to undergo chastisement due to my disobedience.
What has God asked you to do? Are you doing it? Are you willing to stand in the wind, to stand through an earthquake, or stand the heat of a fire in order to be in the spot God wants you? Elijah was in no danger from any of these occurrences, God was both testing Elijah, and teaching him a lesson. If you remember Jezebel was trying to kill him, and Elijah was scared so bad that he wanted to die. God was telling him, as long as you are where I want you, doing what I want you to do, you have nothing to fear. I have not completely learned this, have you?
Don't get me wrong, bad things happen to God's children, especially those that are doing His will, just remember Job if you don't believe it. However even with Job, Satan could only do what God allowed. As long as you are doing God's will, nothing can happen to you that God does not allow, and He will not allow it, unless He wants it to happen. So what am I afraid of? Why do I find it so hard sometimes to obey what He tells me?

No comments:

Post a Comment