Friday, August 20, 2010

Is There a Roof on Your House

Good morning, we are going to start this morning in Genesis 12:8. There is a story of a devout Christian went to work for an unsaved farmer, back in the days when it was customary for the farmer to provide a room for the hired hands. Even though the job was easy, and the pay was generous the Christian believer did not stay long at the farm. When he was applying for another job, he was asked why he did not stay any longer than he did. He answered, "there is no roof on the house". "No roof", the surprised farmer said, "I've been in his house and there is a roof, where did he have you sleeping"? In order to explain, he quoted an old saying, "A dwelling in which regular prayer is not offered to God is like a house without a roof. Those who live there cannot have peace, comfort, or safety".
In Genesis we see where Abraham traveled to a far country. All the dangers, and unknown could have filled his days with fear and anxiety, but instead he worshiped God. In chapter 12:8 we see, "And he removed from thence unto a mountain on the east of Beth-el, and pitched his tent, having Beth-el on the west, and Hai on east: and there he builded an alter unto the LORD and called upon the name of the LORD." He was showing his complete dependence on, and trust in God.
"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil" Eph 5:15-16. VS20 "Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our LORD Jesus Christ". Back when I was taking piano lessons, after a particularly bad lesson, my teacher asked me how often I was practicing. I responded at least one hour after school every day, sometimes more. "Oh, no don't do that". She said, then offered this advice, "Do your practicing in minutes, whenever you can find them. Five or ten minutes before school, 5 minutes before lunch, or in between chores. This way the music becomes part of your life, not just another chore, that requires you to miss out on other things".
John Erskine, wrote his most famous work "The Private Life of Helen of Troy", on streetcars while commuting between his home and the university. Do you carry your Bible, or a devotional book with you when you are out running errands? What about the wait at the doctors office? Do you use those times to pray, what about when standing in line at the grocery store? That is a great time to pray, instead of reading the covers of the smut magazines, talk to God. I have a 15 min. drive down a 4-lane highway every time I go to town, and back home, I use this time to pray. Now when I am in town, I am praying for safety, but it is a little different type of prayer. In town it's more like, "LORD have mercy on me. Keep me safe. Watch that car for me, they are trying to run me over, God make sure I see the cops before they see me". But, out on the highway I take a minute, and a deep breath to let go of all my other thoughts, (other than focusing on driving), and I just have a good conversation with God.
At home, while I am cooking I have a few moments to talk to God, I fall asleep every night talking to God. While others are watching tv, I have no idea what is happening, because I take that time also to pray. This does not include my "prayer time", when I go in the bedroom, close the door and just bask in His glory. But, more on that tomorrow. I never planned on doing these multiple day devotions, but lately that is what God has given me, and I for one am looking forward to what He has planned next.

No comments:

Post a Comment