Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Good Shepard

I am going to have to ask you to get your Bible out, and look up some verses today. I have a lot of verses, and I could not decide what to leave off, so to keep me from typing a whole book,, if you don't mind look these up.
John 10:14, 27, Jesus says "I am the Good Shepard, my sheep know me." This is normal, sheep follow the voice of their Shepard, but then He goes on to say, "I know my sheep". Imagine this, look out over a field, there are 200-300 sheep in this field, only 150 belong to you. Every sheep is identical to the next, can you pick out which one's are yours? God Can.
Go on to verses 28-29, Jesus says, "I give them eternal life...no man pluck them out of my hand...no man pluck them out of my fathers hand." If you go back to the original manuscript, the words for pluck them out of my hand, actually describes a closed fist. So put something in your hand, and close your fist around it, now try to pull it out. But wait, not only does Jesus have his fist closed around us, but the Father has His fist closed around the fist of Jesus. So take the hand that is holding the object, place it inside your other hand, then have someone else try to take the object, now imagine that the object is you, inside God's hands. How safe are you? The Bible says "no man is able".
Turn over to Rom 8:31 "If God be for us, who can be against us?" That says it all right there. Who is able to defeat God? Who is able to harm God? If that verse was all of the Bible I had, I would have enough.
One more passage, look down at verses 35-39. Verse 35 goes back to John 10:28-29, and ask if any of these things can separate us from the love of God. Verse 36 refers back to the Good Shepard, and compares us to sheep again.
Then in verse 37 we see rejoicing again, "we are MORE than conquerors through Him that loved us." We are not just winners, we are more than winners. We ask "who won the game?", what is more than winning the game? "We not only won the game, but the other team had to disband", is that more than winning?
Look at the list of stuff in verses 38-39,it looks to me like Paul covered everything in existence. Death, life, present, future, angels, other creature, principalities/powers, what's left? None of these things can separate us from the love of God. No matter how far, or how hard we run we can not escape God. I know this from personal experience. I know just how far God will let us run, before He says that is far enough. I know the love He will show us, when we are in sin, not only before we are saved, but after also. If I suffered half of what He did, for someone else and they accepted my gift, then just ran away from me, I don't think I would bother chasing after them. But He does, He chased me down, and kept me safe when I put myself in dangerous situations, then He said "It's time to come home". Do you need to come home today? He is waiting on you, He put this writing in front of you to tell you that He still loves you, and forgives you, and wants you back.
Will you be a conqueror, or more than a conqueror?

No comments:

Post a Comment