Saturday, May 22, 2010

We are not alone.

1 Peter 2:24 gives us the good news that Christ on the cross took our sins in His own body. That we might be considered sinless in the eyes of God. Matt 8:17 goes beyond that and tells that He not only took our sins, but also our sickness. Why would Jesus do that? Why would He suffer the sickness that we suffer?
The answer is in Is 53. Verse 4 prophesies that the Messiah would carry our grief, and sorrows. Then verse 6 says the iniquity of us all would be laid on Him. Verse 12 once again says he has the sin of many, then goes one step farther and says he made intercession for us. In other words He became our lawyer.
I think we can all understand why he needed to carry our sins, and iniquities, but why does the Bible tell us that he carried our sickness? Why would God find it necessary to, or even waste His time to mention grief and sorrows?
Because when Christ was on the cross, He looked down through time, to May 22, 2010, then He looked at me, and He took my physical pain upon Himself. But He did not stop there He took my emotional pain also, this way when I pray to Him today, and I ask for strength to make it through the day, or I ask for comfort and relief from the pain, He understands what I am going through. He experienced it, He understands, He knows how to comfort me.
When I pray for the 10th time, and I am getting desperate, because the light bill is due, and I don't have the money. He can wrap His arms around me, and comfort me, He can actually comfort me because He understands. He felt my pain, He felt my fear and desperation.
How much does He love us to not only take our sin upon Himself, and suffer the penalty for them, but He found it worthwhile to suffer my physical and emotional pain. He knows what it is like to lose your job, to go through a divorce, to be abused, or raped. He knows what it is like to suffer a physical illness, or a mental illness. He knows what it is like to be alone, to struggle to pay your bills, or to be tormented by past sin that no matter how much you pray, you can not get out from under it grip. Why would He do this? Because He loves us, and He want to comfort us when we need comforting. I know for me, I can talk, and talk to someone that does not have a chronic illness, and it does no good. However if I talk to someone who suffers the same way I do, I get some emotional relief. He knew I would be like this, so He wanted to experience what I experience so that He would understand, so I would could get comfort from Him. He said He would never leave nor forsake us, that means He is beside us at all times. We just need to pray, and ask for His help then reach out to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment