Tuesday, May 25, 2010

LORD teach us to pray

I have been praying for something for a couple of weeks now, with no answer. I have had other prayers answered, and I feel my faith is intact, at least until now. Which made me wonder if I was praying wrong, or if this is a test of faith. So I decided it was time that I went back and re-taught myself how to pray. Of course that means sharing my study with you. I am going to ask you to do something for me, once you have finished reading this lesson, pray that God will give me the wisdom that I have sought after for a couple of weeks now.
Let’s start in Matt. 8:9, the first thing we need to do is acknowledge who we are praying to, “Our Father who art in heaven.” Matt 23:9 “And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.” He is the Almighty God, the Prince of Peace, the Great I AM, and so many other names, which describe his greatness, goodness and His holiness.
Verse 10 then tells that we need to ask for His will to be done in our lives. Verse 11, we then need to ask for God to meet our needs. This shows our faith in Him. Don’t forget if you are a new Christian, or if you’ve been saved for 50 years, we still need to ask forgiveness for our sins. But, then Jesus goes a step farther and tells us to forgive anyone that has done us wrong. In verse 13, we are told to ask God to help us avoid temptation and sin. Then once again we need to praise His holiness.
After this we can take our petitions to Him. We know that Jesus is seated on the right hand of the throne of God. So when we pray we are taking our prayers and petitions to the throne room of God. We need to remember this, and show the proper respect, and humble ourselves (2Chr 7:14), and pray on our knees.

I am working on a more in depth version of this, if you are interested in receiving a copy of this, just email me. I will be looking up other verses to support each statement made, of course I will have to limit it to one or two verses per statement, because it could go on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment