Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Change of Plans

"Then I went down to the potter's house, and behold, he wrought a work on the wheels. And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it. Then the word of the LORD came to me saying, O house of Israel cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel". Jer. 18:3-6. It should be humbling to know that we are but clay in the hands of the almighty God. But, I know so many people who see it as a challenge to prove they are stronger than God. Is. 45-9 says, "Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, what makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?" "Woe", is a dangerous word. When you see the word woe, that means you had better sit up and take notice. It's kind of like when you call your child by all three names.
This same lesson is continued in Romans, just proving that nothing has changed over the years. Rm 9:20-21 "Nay but, O man who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to Him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?"
This lesson started out as one showing our need to obey God, but after praying over, and studying these verses, I realized just how much God was talking directly to me. "Why hast thou made me thus?", do you know how many times over the last few years, I have asked God this very question? I accepted several years ago, that He was not going to heal my thorn in the flesh. And even though I know He has a plan, and a reason for me suffering this way, I still often wonder why, and wish that things were different. So once again He is reminding me, that I am not supposed to know His thoughts or reasons, I am to trust Him unconditionally. Without reserve, or knowledge.
He told Paul in 2 Chr. 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weakness". Paul went on to say, "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me". I haven't quite got to the point were I can honestly say, I will glory in my infirmities, even though I pray daily that I can. I make this statement quite often, but I can't honestly say that it is true in my heart.
I do take comfort in knowing that Paul, much like myself had to be reminded of this truth. In 2 Chr. 3:5 Paul made the statement, "Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God". Even though he knew this, he had to be reminded of it. This does not make it ok, for me to not trust, I still sin when I don't trust. But, knowing that Paul had the same need to understand, and have relief, is enough to give me hope that I too can trust the way I am supposed to.

As I said, my whole devotion changed this morning as I was typing it up, so let me now give you the rest of the original.
Is 64:8-9 "But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand. Be not wroth very sore, O LORD, neither remember iniquity for ever: behold see we beseech thee, we are all they people."
Is 65:2-3 "I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts; A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon alters of brick"
65:17-18 "For Behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for behold I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy".
65:23-25 "They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble, for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them. And it shall come to pass, that before they call I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear. The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock; and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD".
My original thought was to show how that He is constantly working on us, changing us, and will continue until the day that He makes a new heaven and a new earth, and we are all made perfect. However He had a different idea, and of course you know who won, because He knows more than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment