Thursday, July 1, 2010

They Tempted God

I'm still having trouble with my internet, where I live my options are dial-up, or satellite, and I think the clouds from the hurricane, are affecting my service.

If you start in chapter 36 of Isaiah you will see where Sennacherib king of Assyria, decided to invade all the surrounding countries, including Judah and Israel. After conquering Judah, he sent word to Hezekiah king of Israel, that there was no use praying to his god for deliverance, because the gods of the surrounding countries were unable to stop him. Of course there was a lot of taunting, and flaunting, and intimidation. How many times in our lives does Satan, attempt the same things with us?
If you look at chapter 37:1 you will see Hezekiah's response, "And it came to pass, when king Hezekiah heard it, that he rent his clothes, and covered himself with sackcloth, and went into the house of the LORD." (I just figured out how to use the highlighting effects) Hezekiah did exactly what he should have done, the first thing he did was go to God. In verses 5-7 God gives Hezekiah an answer through Isaiah, which was that Jerusalem is safe.
Then in verse 10 word is sent again to Hezekiah, "Let not thy God, in whom thout trustest, deceive thee, saying Jerusalem shall not be given into the hand of the king Assyria". Verse 11 "Behold, thou has heard what the kings of Assyria have done to all lands by destroying them utterly: and thou be delivered?" There have been so many times in my life I was made fun of, because of my faith, even though at times it was discouraging, I would always just smile and say watch what happens. There have been too many times I have seen people make lite of God, and His power, and ability. You see, when someone does something like that, it makes God more determined to show His power, and I don't want to be on the wrong side of that argument.
So what did Hezekiah do when he received the latest message, v14 "and Hezekiah went up to the house of the LORD, and spread it before the LORD". OH man, now the Assyrians are in trouble, not only did Hezekiah tell God what they said, he carried the letter and showed it to God. If you keep reading, you will see Hezekiah's prayer, and Jehovah's answer through Isaiah. It all gets summed up in v33, "Therefore thus saith the LORD concerning the king of Assyria, he shall not come into this city, nor shoot an arrow there, nor come before it with shields, nor cast a bank against it", v35 "For I will defend this city". So now we have went from, you will not be overthrown, to he won't even be able to attack. I can just hear God asking, "Does that idiot not know who he is dealing with?"
Now let's see what happened, look at verse 36 "Then the angel of the LORD went forth, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians a hundred and four-score and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses." Seven thousand-eighty men woke up dead. They woke up dead. Now I don't know about you, but I don't want to tempt God. I do it every day, but it is not because I want to. I am human, I can not help but sin, however He is faithful and just to forgive, if I ask Him too. He knows our intent, He knows if we are doing something because we are evil, or if we are just "stupid". I know I am blunt sometimes, but I am talking to myself, and I know that I know better, but I do it anyway, what would you call it?
One day I will wake up dead, the difference is, I will be in heaven with my LORD and Savior. What a glorious day it will be. It will be a day of reward, not a day of judgment. These men sinned by tempting God, and they paid the price, I pray daily that God will convict me, when I tempt Him, so I can repent instead of facing judgment. I also pray, you do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Yes...what a glorious day that will be! I pray for conviction also so that I can repent. What an incredible day for believers when we all wake up dead and are in the presence of Jesus! :-)))

    Your boldness and bluntness is needed. If it steps on our delicate little toes, then SO BE IT!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete