Friday, July 9, 2010

Our Father in Heaven

Years ago, I was still in high school, and I had an after school job doing deliveries for a printing company. I made a delivery to a local church one day, the secretary I normally dealt with was out, so the priest was taking care of the office. When I went in there were several church members in the office visiting with the priest. He had some questions for me about some things, so I ended up talking to him for several minutes. Because of a verse I had read in my devotions the day before I was referring to him as "Pastor", the first time he looked at me strange, but went on. After the third time I said pastor, one of the church members, jumped up walked over to me, and in a very un-polite voice said, "he is to be referred to as Father, you need to have respect for the priest". As politely as I could I replied "I mean no respect Pastor, however, Matthew chapter 23 and verse 9 says 'And call o man your father upon the earth; for one is your Father, which is in heaven', and I feel I should obey God rather than man". The priest, said I understand and respect your stand, even though we don't acknowledge that verse. The church member stomped out of the office.
This lesson could be about following the convictions God has given you, (which I did, and continue to do, I still refer to priest as Pastor, even though sometimes they do get mad), or it could be about following the Bible, or it could be about having one Father, our Father in heaven. But, I guess it's kind of about all three, which would make a trinity, ironic isn't it.
Let me make one thing clear, I am not saying it is a sin to refer to a priest as father, I don not know that it is a sin. But, God gave me a personal conviction about it, and "to him who knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, it is sin".
Now Matt. 5:16, 45, and 48 all tell us "your Father in heaven", in the model prayer Jesus says "Our Father who art in heaven", and 1 Jn 5:7 says "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one". All of these verses tell us that our Father is in heaven, and not on earth, so how can we call any man father?
John 15:14 "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you". Chapter 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him", then in vs. 23 Jesus says "if a man love Me, he will keep my words...". Notice in vs 21 it says "he that hath my commandments", and vs 23 just says "he will keep (all) my words". I believe that there is those commandments that apply to everyone, and then for some reason God gives individual people personal convictions, for instance only using the King James Version or not. If God has convicted you of something and you do it anyway it is sin. I have a few friends that have Jewish ties and so when writing the name of God they leave the "o" out, (G-d). Now if I am posting to their page, or sending them a letter, I also leave the "o" out, out of respect for them. I don't think this is absolutely necessary, but God has told me to do it, therefore I have to. Romans 14:13-16 "...I know, and am persuaded by the LORD Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. But if they brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably...Let not your good be evil spoken of" If it is unclean to you, it is unclean. If it is unclean to your brother, respect his conviction, otherwise even though it is not sin, it becomes sin.
What convictions has God given you? Are you following them?

1 comment:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly, Robby! The Word plainly states that we are not to refer to a leader of any church as "Father". Our only "Father" is our heavenly Father. Yes, the Holy Spirit convicts my heart of a lot of things. Experience has taught me that if I ignore the Spirit's convictions I will suffer the consequences and painfully regret it. The Spirit supplies me with very strong instincts that are right on target if I will just heed them.

    ReplyDelete