Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Worship in Vain

I actually worked up today's devotion about a month ago, however I did not want to use it. You see in the beginning I told myself that I would not post anything that could be controversial, or offensive. Apparently God has other ideas, because He has not let this leave my mind. Then last night while talking to a friend about this subject, I decided to look back through my notebook and find something that I have previously made an outline for, but not posted, this one came up first, I knew then what God wanted, so please consult the author, and not get upset with the messenger.
Let's just start in Ps. 78:15 "Nevertheless they did flatter Him with their mouth, and they lied unto Him with their tongues". "This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men" Matt 15:8-9. We all know that there are those religions out there that teach false doctrine. They have all kind of ideas about how to gain entrance into heaven. I am not talking about them, I am talking about those "churches" that are supposed to be filled by Christians. I am not going to get into a denomination thing, that is not my purpose either.
So what am I trying to accomplish, what is God wanting me explain to you? The answer is found in Heb. 10:25 "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching". I always hear sermons about that word forsaking, meaning skipping church. But I am here to tell you that it means so much more. It means skipping anything that we are commanded to do, or teach in church. God commands our preachers, and each of us to teach and preach the Gospel of Christ. Just what is the Gospel of Christ? The short version is this; 1. The death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. 2. We are saved by grace, nothing more nothing less. 3. Justification is by faith, not works 4. Faith without works is dead (non-existent). That is the Gospel of Christ.
Now no-where in the New Testament do I see where Jesus, any of the Disciples, or Apostles ever mentioned that we could be saved by "Praise". I have been in a lot of churches lately that to start the service will have a congregational song, then the "Praise Leader", will launch straight into a praise chorus, or five. There will be announcements, the offering (can't forget that), then more choruses, and the pastor never has a chance to bring a sermon. Everyone in the building is standing with their hands raised (nothing wrong with raising hands, it's Biblical), swaying back and forth as they sing, about how good God is, how loving God is, how great God is, how we are going to heaven, but never once does anyone mention the Gospel.
I have had more than one preacher tell me "we don't talk about the cross, because it offends people, we don't mention the blood because that is gross, and we don't mention the resurrection, because it is controversial". I am here to tell you that Jesus Christ Himself was controversial, the disciples and apostles were controversial, the blood is not gross, it washes me white as snow, and yes the cross is offensive, to Satan.
I am not saying we should not praise God. Just the opposite, we should praise Him every minute of every day. However, the Gospel is not praise, praise will not save a soul from hell, (Yes hell is real). Praise is an outpouring of the faith we have in our LORD and Savior Jesus Christ, after we accept Him into our hearts, and we actually know the love He has for us. There is no way to understand this love, until we know Him as our Savior, and praise will not save us it comes after we are saved.
Paul in Col. 1:28 explains what we are to be doing, he says "Whom we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus". What are we to be preaching and teaching, vs. 20 "And, having made peace through the blood of His cross, by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself". Jesus made a way for there to be peace between the Father, and man through the blood on the cross, praise is not mentioned.
Praise has it's place, we are told to praise God, special programs have their place, the love of God has it's place, but again it is not God's love that saves us. It was Jesus dying on the cross, shedding His blood as payment for our sins, and having victory over the grave when he arose the third day as a result of God's love for us. God's love provides a way, but will not save us of itself, we have to go to Him by way of the cross. There is no other way, "And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission" Heb 9:22, vs 28 "So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for Him shall He appear the second time without sin unto salvation".
Now we know what should be happening in our churches every service, every time we gather together, if this is not happening in your church, then you need to find a church where it does happen.
"But in vain they do worship me"

1 comment:

  1. The cross, the blood, and the resurrection is what it's ALL about!!! It's hard to believe that any man who claims to be a "Preacher" would hold back the gospel for fear of offending someone. His entire ministry would be "In Vain", as you said. May God seriously convict any preacher who is not bold enough to preach the Gospel of Truth as it truly is!!!

    ReplyDelete