Monday, July 12, 2010

The word, and the Word

First off, if you don't mind in the comments section, let me know how many of you read the devotion on Sunday. I am trying to decide if I need to continue a Sunday devotion, or if the thought to skip that one day is from the evil one.

Now today I want to take just a minute to to remind ourselves just what the Word of God is. Let's start in Matt. 4:4, this is Matthew's account of the temptation of Jesus. Satan has just told Jesus to turn the stone into bread, "And He answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God". Of course a word is not going to satisfy our empty stomach, but The Word will satisfy our Spiritual stomach. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works". 2 Tim. 3:16. The Bible is the Word of God, and as we saw a few weeks ago, even the sections on lineage can be helpful to our spiritual walk.
Titus 1:2-3, tells us that God cannot lie, and that He promised us eternal life, when "in due times", He manifested His Word to us through preaching, by those who follow His commandment. In Rev. 3:8 God says "Behold I have set before thee an open door and no man can shut it; for thou hast a little strength, and has kept my word, and has not denied my name". When He says "thou hast a little strength", He does not mean they are weak, it means they have studied the word, they have immersed themselves in it, they have prayed, and obeyed His commandments, because of this they are spiritually strong. God also says that no man can shut the door He opened, how is this possible, the answer is in Heb 4:12 "For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart". Not only is the Word strong enough to separate the soul and spirit, but He actually knows the very thoughts of man, and even the intent that is in our hearts. Just as Ananias and Saphira tried to lie about how much they sold the land for, if we do something because of what others will think of us, instead of doing it for the glory of God, He will know the truth.
LORD God, I come to you now, on bended spiritual knee, knowing that it is only by your mercy and grace that I am able to enter your throne room to bring my petitions and request myself. Father God, I thank you for giving us both your Word, and your word. LORD I ask that every time I open the word, that you would send your Word, to open my heart, and prepare my mind for the truth that you have prepared for me. Heavenly Father, I pray that you will feed me with your word, help me use it to grow spiritually so that you are able to say that I have a little strength.
My LORD and Father, I pray for those that read these devotions, that you give me, open their hearts, and prepare their minds, that they may feed on the milk and meat of your word, and grow spiritually in your Word. Thank you for those that are faithful to reading what you give me. God I pray that you will increase the readership, not for my benefit, but for your glory.
I ask these things in the holy, merciful, and true, name of Jesus Christ my savior. AMEN

1 comment: