Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What Woud You Do?

This morning we are are going to be looking at the account of Stephen, which is found in Acts 6:8 through 8:4. You remember what happened, Stephen started preaching the word of God, and as usual when the Word is preached, with power, lives were changed. So the Jewish leaders became worried about losing their power. If you remember, those leaders were not worried about the work of God, they were more interested in the power and status they had as religious leaders. How often do we see this in our churches these days? So after it became evident to them that they were not going to be able to quiet him, by just arguing with him, because not only could he answer their arguments with a knowledge they did not have, but they were unable to rebut his statements. They decided to pay some people to lie against Stephen, and say he was trying to overthrow the Jewish establishment. He was arrested, and brought before the council of elders and high priest.
When he was allowed to defend himself, he began to tell the history of the Jewish people starting with Abram. He told how, every great prophet of Israel was not believed, and how the Jewish leaders tried to find a way to quiet that prophet, until his words were proven true. He then turned his attention to Jesus, and the present council of leaders in ch. 7:51 "Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears", Oh my, not only did he just call them ignorant, but said their heart and ears were "uncircumcised". That is like saying that their heart was not even Jewish. Continuing "ye do always resist the Holy Ghost; as your fathers did; so do ye. Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted: and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers" He said, all the leaders before you, are responsible for persecuting, and killing the true man of God, and now you have actually killed God Himself. As you can imagine, this did not sit well with them.
Now to the lesson, in ch. 7:58 "And cast him out of the city, and stoned him..." How often as a nation do we turn against the man of God? Look however, at verse 60 "And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep".
When someone does something wrong to us, what is our response? Do we find a way to get back at them, get even with them? Or do we pray that God will work in their heart and life, and change their outlook?
Now in ch. 8 starting with verse 1b "And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judea, and Samaria, except the apostles,...As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison. Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word."
We in America have it way too easy. There needs to be persecution against us. Maybe then we would stop playing Christian, and actually be one. Then again, Christianity in America just might cease to exist, except for just a few. I am including myself in this, I pray I would have the faith to stand for Christ, but who knows how I would react with a gun to my head, or my wife or kids head. What about you, how would you react?
Do we support missions, or is our tithe enough for us? Supporting missionaries is commanded in the Bible. I have been in so many "churches" lately that did not give one penny to missions. They collected the "tithe" for their church, but they did not believe in sending any money to others. While we are at it, any church that does not support Jewish missions, needs to reread their Bible. Gentile missionaries going to the Jewish people is Biblical. The Jews are God's chosen people, we received the gift of God through the Jewish nation, we should be giving that gift back to them.
ABBA Father, I come to you humbled knowing I am a sinner, unworthy of your love, yet you loved me anyway. Loved me enough to send your Son to pay sins price of death for me. Oh God, I pray that you will use me, make my life an example to show others your love, mercy and grace. I lift up the church in America, Oh LORD God, send a revival to America, convict hearts make us right with You. LORD Jesus, give us a burden not only for missions, but especially Jewish missions. Father, send your Holy Spirit to me daily, fill me with your Word as I prepare and write the devotions, give me the words You would have me to say. Correct me when I am wrong, as I don't want to say anything here that is not right. I lift up those reading Your Word here, open their hearts and minds, let Your truth sink in. Let it make a difference in their life. Father, lead me in the things you would have me do, You know the burdens you have placed on my heart, help me to work in those areas. Show me when it is something I came up with, and when it is Your will for my life. I bring these petitions to Your throne, in the holy, just, wonderful, merciful, gracious name of the only begotten Son Jesus Christ, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment