Friday, July 30, 2010

Phillip and the Ethiopian

Good morning, I have to say I have had a lot of difficulty preparing a devotion for today. I have actually tried to work up several different passages, with no luck. To be honest I am not completely sure that the passage I am going to use, is what God wants me to use, but it is the only one that I have not had the door closed on.
Open your Bible to Acts 8 starting with verse 26. We see the account of Philip and Ethiopian. First thing we see is that God through an angel told Philip to go out into the desert, and unlike me at times, Philip in vs 27 arose and went. He had no idea where he was going, or why but he did as God commanded. A good bit of the time, my faith is not that strong. I like what the Bible says next, "and behold", I have to wonder if Philip even though he was doing what he was told, was asking himself "why he was going to the desert". So God with His sense of humor makes the statement, "and behold here was someone for Philip to witness to".
The Ethiopian was reading Isiah 53, so Phillip asked him if he understood what he read. The man replied, "how can I understand, unless someone explain it to me". Now Phillip understood why he was there, especially when he was told by the Spirit (capital S) to go and witness to the man.
The man asked if Isaiah was talking about himself, or some other prophet. Phillip was then able to start in Isaiah and preach Jesus Christ unto the man. Just as Phillip finished his sermon, they "happened" upon some water, and the man asked if he could be baptized. Phillip asked him if he believed, the man responded, "I believe that "Jesus Christ is the Son of God". So Phillip, baptized him. And as soon as the man came up out of the water, immediately Phillip disappeared from sight, because the Spirit of God took him. And Phillip found himself in another town, still soaking wet (my translation). The Ethiopian went on his way rejoicing.
I can't tell you how many times I have been told to do something that I did not understand, sometimes I obeyed, and was blessed, other times I did not obey because of my unbelief, and I payed the price, then some of those times, I still had to go do what I had been told to do. The Bible tells us that the "natural man", or the unsaved carnal man can not understand the things of God, unless it is explained to them. We are also told that if the word of God goes out it will not return null and void, the Ethiopian had read the word, but did not understand, until Phillip explained it to him, then he believed. As soon as he believed he wanted to be baptized. Baptism will not save you, it is only a sign of obedience to God's word. Baptism is a symbol of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, and the individual person showing their belief in, and obedience to Jesus Christ. When a person is saved there should be a desire to be baptized (barring a phobia of water, or some similar fear).
Now as amazing as the events have been so far, now we see the part that is hardest for the natural man to understand. You see God wanted Phillip in the desert to witness to the man, but He also wanted Phillip in the town of Azotus preaching, at the same time. For man this is impossible, but we all know that with God all things are possible. So just as Enoch was caught up, just as Jesus was caught up, Phillip was caught up, however Phillip just found himself in Azotus, not heaven. Can you just imagine Phillip, he is standing there in the water baptizing, he blinks and he is hours away in the middle of a town, still holding out his arms as if he is holding someone up out of the water. He looks around, and it seems no one noticed that he just appeared. Just imagine what all went through his mind in that first few seconds, before he had time to fully understand what had happened. I would love to experience being translated to another town, just once. Then again, I would probably need some time in a mental hospital, thinking I had completely lost my mind. But, not Phillip, he immediately started preaching.
I have always liked this chain of events, (the normal thing to say is I liked this story, however I don't want to use the word "story", that makes it sound made up, and not true), there is so many different lessons in here, obedience, God's wisdom, God's power, the power of the Scripture, the love of God just to name a few things. I just hope that this morning I was able to be a blessing to you, despite being troubled by Satan. However I do take comfort in knowing that when you are doing God's will, and you are having an impact for Christ, Satan will attack. I also know I am under God's protection, and all Satan can do is, make it difficult for me to put together the devotion God want's me to give to you. Especially if you pray for me, and for God's hand to be upon me.

2 comments:

  1. Robby...to have had a difficult time preparing a devotional this morning, you beat Satan to a pulp really well!!! LOL I have a hard time with faith also. Always have! I love this very "true" story myself. You've truly blessed my heart today, and I pray for God's hand to remain upon you as you prepare these inspiring devotions. It's wonderful to have someone like you who shares all my beliefs and values, and will boldly proclaim them. May God continue to bless you and yours! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, thank you so much for your words of encouragement, I really really need them right now. And I thank God that I was able to be a blessing to you, through His power, and that He finds me usable.

    ReplyDelete