Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fill the Gap

Good Sunday morning, hope everyone can make it to God's house today, I plan on trying, but I don't know if I can this soon after surgery.
This morning I want to look at the book of Ezekiel, specifically with chapter 22. If you start with verse one, actually if you go back to chapter 8, you will read about all the sins of Israel. God goes into great detail explaining how the people of cheated, stole, shed blood, failed to observe the Sabbath, the prophets have lied saying "Thus saith the LORD", when the LORD had not spoken. Because of this they would suffer captivity. Verse 18 of chapter 22 says "the house of Israel is to me become dross", if you don't know dross is what is left over when brass, tin or iron is melted to be recast. It is the trash, the leftover garbage, and God said the nation of Israel had became dross to Him, because of their wickedness.
Again God tells Ezekiel the sins of Israel, they have devoured souls, they have made many widows, the priests have violated the law, and profaned holy things, the people have vexed the poor and needy. Then in verse 30 God says, "And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none".
If you have a security fence around your property, but it has a hole in it, it is not very secure. You will be looking for anything you can find to fill that hole, until you can get it repaired. In those times, when a nation went to war the army would form a line, a hedge, and as long as everyone maintained their position the line held, but when one person fell, the rest would move together to close the gap, to keep the enemy from getting through. God was looking for one man, that was righteousness enough so that He would not have to chastise the nation. But I found none. So the children of Israel went into captivity.
In Ps 106:23, we see where the Psalmist said "Therefore he said that He would destroy them, had not Moses His chosen stood before Him in the breach (gap), to turn away His wrath, lest He should destroy them". Moses stood in the gap, and protected the Israelites. Yesterday we see where Abraham stood in the gap and protected Lot. I did not plan this, God gave me yesterday's devotion Thursday on the way home, and today's lesson on Saturday night. I don't know if God is talking to me, or someone else, but one of us needs to listen. I know my son needs all the prayers he can get, because of most of the decisions he is making right now. He is a good kid, that knows right from wrong, and I am always hearing compliments about him, but he is making some dumb decisions. So maybe, these lessons are for me. I don't know what any of you are going through, but God could be talking to you too, I don't know. But, I will be praying, and thanking Him for assuring me, that my son will return to His path. Even if it has not happened yet, I will thank Him, because I know, that I know, that I know that it will happen, because He said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment