Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Comforter and Sealer

A few days ago I mentioned John 10:28-29, where Jesus says, that "no man is able to pluck them out of my Fathers hand". He was speaking of those people who have made a decision to follow Him. There are so many times in this life that we are removed from the course that we are on. Your employer goes out of business, a relationship breaks up, a vacation falls through, or other plans fail. Isn't it good to know that no matter what, God will never let us go.
Back in February of 2002, my whole life changed course, after several months of declining health, I had to just completely quit my job. I was well on my way to owning my own business, I was working with my dad, and he was ready to retire which meant that the business would have been mine. This was a life long dream for me. But, it was not meant to be, and the opportunity was jerked from my grasp. I was devastated. Especially when I found out that this was not something that could be cured. I would never work again. I had always worked two jobs at at time, unless the one job I was working 50 or more hours a week. If I wasn't at work, I was out in the yard, working on the car, or in the flower bed, or in the shop building something. Now I would be forced to sit in the house, mostly helpless. For someone as independent and active as I was this was the worst possible news I could hear. It would have been enough to make me suicidal, except I remembered John 14:16 & 26, Jesus says that the Holy Ghost would come to us, and He would be our Comforter. No matter what happened He would be there to take away the pain, and help us recover emotionally. Praise God, He was there for me, and He not only took away the pain, but He has shown me that He has other work for me to do.
However, the Holy Spirit has more than one job. Not only is He THE Comforter, but in Eph. 1:13 the Bible says that we are sealed with the Holy Spirit. Then in ch.4:30 it explains what it means by sealed. We are sealed unto the day of redemption. Ch 1:14 talks about the redemption of the purchased possession. When Christ died on the cross, He paid for our sins, He bought our account, when we accept Him as our LORD and Savior, we become His. The day will come when He will collect those of us that are His, He will redeem us to Himself, and He will carry us to Heaven where He is.
Isn't it good to know that once we are saved, we are always saved. When we become an adopted heir to Christ glory, we are sealed into that position, and no one can remove us. Not even ourselves. When we accept Him, our name is written in "The Lambs Book of Life", and once it is there it can never be removed. Then on the day of judgment, when our name is read, we will spend the rest of eternity with Christ, in His glory, at the throne of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment