Monday, June 14, 2010

Wait on the LORD

I want to take a familiar verse and look back toward the beginning of the chapter and do a little background study and see just what the verse means. I memorized this verse when I was very young, as a chorus, and I have always been taught that it means one thing, but I believe it also means something else.
Let's look at Is 40, starting at verse 6, I am going to start by just going to highlight several things in the chapter. The first few verses refer to man as grass, grass that withereth and dies when the Spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it. Then verse 8 says, "but the word of our God shall stand for ever". Man will cease to exist, but the word of God shall continue forever, I haven't decided if this shows our mortality, or God's greatness. Of course it shows both, but just what is the main message here?
Let's stop again at verse 11, again God is referred to as our Shepard, a loving Shepard that takes care of His flock. He feeds them, carries them, nurses them, and keeps them safe. "Who hat measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?" vs 12. Oh the strength of the LORD, how great the size of our God. Vs 18 "To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?" Vs 25 "To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One. (vs26) Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: He calleth them all by names by the greatness of His might, for that He is strong in power not one faileth." By the power of God, not one star fails to shine.
Vs 27 and 28, "Why saith thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God? Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of His understanding. How many times have I thought, "I can do this and no one will know, not even God"? Haven't I learned that God sees all and knows all? The Bible says this by saying that He "fainteth not, neither is weary", in other words, He has the strength to go everywhere, and see everything, we can not outrun God. I learned this the hard way.
"even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:", There is no telling how many times I have watched my 4 year old, and said "if I had just a quarter of his energy". Even so, come 9pm, he is falling asleep, but God never sleeps, He never gets tired.
Now for vs. 31 "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Let's start in the middle of the verse, "they shall mount up with wings as eagles". Look over at Ps 103:5 "Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's" Have you ever watched on tv, a eagle soaring through the sky. Just imagine how peaceful that is, there is no noise, no lines of people crowding you, just you and God. If that doesn't lift your spirit, I don't know what will. "Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things", who feeds you, who takes care of you? God takes care of us in every way, He gives you the things that you need in order to renew your strength, to help you feel the peace of your youth again.
Now just what is meant by "wait on the LORD"? I have always been taught that it means when you come to a decision, when you reach a crossroads in your life, or just a fork in the road, you are to sit down and wait on God to tell you what to do. This is true, however read the rest of ch. 40, and Ps 103:5, and Ph. 4:19 and you will see the definition of 'wait' is actually 'DEPEND'. Look at vs 31 again, "But they that DEPEND upon the LORD (for everything in their life), shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

1 comment: