Monday, June 7, 2010

My Blessing

First I want to thank all of you who prayed for me, I made it to church yesterday morning, and God blessed my soul. I heard an evangelist, he was one of those that walks the aisle, shouts, stomps, snorts and everything else. It has been a long time since I heard preaching like that. That is exactly what this world needs, more preaching like that.
He preached from a passage that I have been reading over for my own study. I really needed to hear this sermon. God knew I would be there, He knew that He had laid this passage on my heart earlier in the week, and He knew just how much I needed to hear it. Isn't God good to us?
In 2 Kings ch. 4 starting at verse 1, we see the story of the widow's oil. There are so many lessons in this story, it would take me two months to cover them all. So I just want to mention a few things, and let you read the story for yourself and let God show you His glory in it.
The first thing we see is a woman that is at rock bottom, her husband is dead and she can not pay the money he owed so the creditors are coming to take her kids. So she goes to the man of God, (that is a lesson in itself, go to God). Elisha asks her what she has in the house, she looks and tells him nothing. Well I do have a little oil. Elisha know that "little is much when God is in it". So he tells her to go borrow vessels from her neighbors. (This shows action on our part). She OBEYS. He then sends her in the house and tells her to shut the door. Why shut the door? To protect her from the worlds influence, disappointment, discouragement, etc... She OBEYED. God filled the need, and no more. When the vessels were full, the oil stopped flowing. How many times have we prayed for a Cadillac when a Ford would be enough? Then wondered why God did not answer our prayer. How many times has God blessed us, and we missed it because we wanted something more. My bills are paid (for the most part), we have food to eat, clothes to wear, and we are healthy, what else did God promise? I have to learn to be happy with what God has given me, and not obsess over the things I can't buy. I just wanted to do so much more for my family than this, but that was not God's plan. I have to learn to rejoice over the small things.
As I said this is something I was studying for my own benefit, but God blessed my heart so much yesterday that I had to share the blessing with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment