Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Not Where He was Supposed to Be

I had another passage planned, until about 2am, when I awoke with this one going through my mind, and I said "OK LORD", there is something here I need to know.
Let's start in 2 Sam. 11:1, I want you to pay attention to the phrase "at the time when kings go forth to battle". At this point in history, if the army went to war, the king was supposed to lead the way. David, was supposed to be on the battlefield, but he "tarried still at Jerusalem". The Bible does not tell us why he stayed back, so I take it that he did not have a good reason. How many times in my life that I should have went into battle, I should have confronted some problem in my life, and yet I sat back and did nothing.
Of course we all know the rest of the story, how David got out of bed late in the afternoon, went on the roof, and saw Bath-sheba bathing. First of all what was he still doing in bed that late in the day? Now at this point he has not sinned, had he immediately looked away, and retreated off the roof all would have been ok. But, David choose to look, he choose to lust after her, he choose to send for her even though he knew she was married. I can not tell you how many times I have chosen to continue, when I should have walked away.
Then the worst happened, she got pregnant, and it would have been hard to explain since her husband had not been at home in quite a while. So David came up with a plan to cover up his sin, then when that did not work, he had Uriah killed, so he could marry her.
Then in chapter 12, Nathan the prophet came unto David, and spun this tale of a rich man and a poor man. He told all the riches that the rich man had, and how the poor man had nothing except one little lamb. And, how the rich man went and took the poor man's lamb, I imagine by force, killed it and cooked it. David was furious, he said tell me who this man is so that I can punish him, he will give back four lambs. Nathan dropped a bombshell when in vs 7 he said, "Thou art the man." He then told David, because you were not where you were supposed to be, your family is cursed of God for all time.
David repented, but Nathan told him, even though God forgives you, because of the result of your actions, the child shall die. Which brings me to Heb. 10:30-31, "For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, the LORD shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of a living God." God said, Don't be fooled, if you sin I will punish you. The writer of Hebrews made a very profound statement, in verse 11, "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God". God forgives those of us that ask for His forgivness. But, can you imagine being an atheist on the day of Judgment? But, a lot of times when we as Christians sin, even though we are forgiven, sometimes there are still consequences to our actions. Gal. 6:7 reminds us "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." Sow evil, reap evil, so good, reap good. Here in the south we know what the words sow, and reap mean, but for those that may not, to sow is to plant crops, and to reap is receive the harvest of those crops.
David had forgotten one important point which we find in Phil. 2:13 "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure." David did not follow God's will for His life, and had to pay the price. I have also several times, failed to follow His will for my life, and I too had to pay the price. I hope that other will learn from my mistakes and always seek out and follow God's will for their life.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there are many of us who are not suffering some type of consequences for past sins. One of my problems is that I make too many knee-jerk decisions. It sometimes gets me in trouble!

    ReplyDelete