Thursday, June 24, 2010

Do the Work

Today's scripture is 2 Tim. 4:1-8. I am going to go through and point out a few things in each verse, so if you want to read it all the way through, I would recommend it. At this point Paul is in prison, and is nearing his execution, so he writes to his beloved Timothy, with instructions on how to live, and what the last days would be like. Then he explains to Timothy the importance of doing God's work.
Let's start in v.1, "and the LORD Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at His appearing". The first thing we see is that God will judge us, so we need to ensure that we are doing his will.
"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine." We are to be witnesses for Christ, always. We should tell everyone we meet what our LORD has done for us. There is one word I want to focus on here, reprove. Just what did Paul mean by reprove? Look over a couple of pages at Titus 2:15, "These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority, let no man despise thee". Basically we are supposed to be parents, not only to our kids, but to "young" Christians.
Now let's move on to v4, "And they shall turn away their ears from the truth,". For a different look at this, consider ch3:5 "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof;". Also 3:7 "Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Paul is describing the movement of Apostasy, professed Christians who deliberately reject revealed truth.
"Endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry." To "make full proof of thy ministry", means to use the spiritual gift that God has given you (teaching, preaching, evangelizing, etc...), constantly, and to "study to show thyself approved". To be knowledgeable, of God's word.
Verse 7, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith;". What else needs to be said about this verse?
However you might want to get comfortable, v8 is full of treasure for us. Look at the first word "Henceforth", this is a carryover from v7. Because he kept the faith, and fought a good fight, he knows he will be rewarded in heaven. Heb. 6:11b "to the full assurance of hope". "which the LORD...shall give me", Heb 11:6 "and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." One more verse here,
1 Cor. 2:9 "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him" I can't wait until that day, that I get to see what He has prepared for me.
There is one other thing I want to look at in this chapter, which is a slightly different topic than what we have been looking at. In v16 Paul says that everyone turned their back on him, and walked away leaving him alone. However, he prays that God will not hold it against them. There have been times in my life that one of my friends turned their back on me, and usually I was praying that God would punish them. How close to God must he have been in order to not only forgive them, but also ask God to forgive them.

No comments:

Post a Comment