Tuesday, June 8, 2010

God the Father

How many times have you are someone you know said, "God has a sense of humor"? I'm going to show you some verses this morning that prove that He does. I have to thank Bro. Rob, my pastor for pointing this out in a sermon a few years ago.
First let's look at Ex. 32:11, this is right after the Isrealites had formed the golden calf, "And Moses...said...LORD...'thy' people, which 'thou' brought forth..."
How many times as a parent have you looked at your spouse after your kids did something wrong and said,"let me tell you what YOUR child did"? How many times did you hear your parents say the same thing? It's funny, when they are good they are hers, when they are bad they are mine. Of course, since I am just the step-parent, I can respond, "don't blame me for that". Of course they act more like me than they do her, but that is beside the point.
"Don't blame me for that", I am joking when I say that, because I know that I have had more influence on them than she did. This is exactly what Moses was doing, responding to God. Flip back a page and look at verse 7, "And the LORD said unto Moses,...for 'thy people which 'thou' broughtest out...". At this point God was so angry at the children of Israel, that He was ready to destroy them, and blamed their disobedience on Moses. Moses responded by reminding Him, that it was His idea to take the people out of slavery, it was His idea to leave them unchaperoned, and as God He should have known what they would do.
God was responding the way that we as parents respond to our children when they act wrong. How many times in the scripture do we see the phrase "God the Father", and other such parental names for Him? We see in these verses, that like us, God has a sense of humor when it comes to being a parent. Yes, He was ready to destroy the nation, but don't we experience the same feelings toward our kids sometimes? When Moses responded, "they are YOUR kids", He calmed down, and made a covenant with them, isn't that what we as parents do? Just another few verses that show that He is our Father, and that we can depend on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment