Friday, June 4, 2010

Peter in the dog house

I have learned over the years, that all of us, even the most devout of Christians are going to have a weak moment of faith. At some point we are all going to fall in our daily walk with God. In Mark 8:27-33, we see where even Peter did not understand the will of God, and as a result he tried to change the outcome of things.
Let's start at the beginning, Jesus asked the disciples, "who are the people saying I am?" The answer, a resurrected prophet. He asked this question to lead into the next question,"Who do YOU think I am?" Peter then showed great faith by proclaiming Jesus, to be the "the Christ, (the Redeemer, the Son of God etc...)"
Then Jesus went on to explain to the disciples, everything that had to happen in order for the sin debt to be paid. Like most of us, Peter did not want to hear this. God's plan of salvation did not match his idea of what it should be. Not only that but he loved Jesus, and did not want to lose Him. So Peter decided that it was his job to tell God, how things were going to go. He told God that God was wrong. I can't tell you how many times, I have tried to do this. If things were not going the way I thought they should, I would tell God, that He needed to make things work the way I wanted them too. I am glad to know that, even a man of faith such as Peter, could make the same mistake I made. I don't feel so bad about myself, when I realize I am in good company, in that dog house.
Jesus told Peter the same thing He has always told me, "Get behind me Satan. You do not, and can not understand the things of God. You are thinking like a human, I am God."
Of course we all know that you can not count Peter out at this point. After all he is the one that went on to preach on the day of Pentecost, and saw 3000 people saved. By this time, he understood what Jesus was telling him that day. The thing is, we need to strive to have faith in what God tells us, even when we don't understand. We should not wait until after we see proof before we believe. Heb. 11:1 tells us that faith is believing in the things we have not seen. Verse 6 tells us that "without faith it is impossible to please Him". Where do we get the faith that we need to please Him? "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith..." Heb 12:2. Not only does God requires us to have faith to please Him, but He gives us the faith He expects us to have. All we have to do is ask and He "giveth to all men liberally".

No comments:

Post a Comment